I am currently sitting cozied on my couch staring out at the 3 feet plus of snow that we got hammered with here in Connecticut last night. Blizzard Nemo came in full force – we can’t see my girlfriends car in the driveway and have snow drifts up to 15 feet high! Nemo, you may just be the craziest snowstorm to date in my life.. But boy has it been nice to just stay inside and cozy up on the couch. We’ve drank lots of tea, watched loads of movies (The Holiday + eat.pray.love to name a few), indulged in some delicious eats, painted our nails, cleaned, watched tv and more tv.. you get the picture. Perfect snowed in weekend if I do say so myself!
Any chilly, snowy day calls for a heartwarming meal and my homemade tomato basil soup was the quintessential meal to make. It’s incredibly easy and you most likely have all the ingredients on hand. I made this a few weeks ago and after downing the whole pot, I knew it quickly became my winter go to recipe!
To start, let’s pull your ingredients. You’ll need*:
- 1.5 30 oz. cans of organic roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- fresh basil leaves, chopped
Alot of this recipe (and recipes that I make) are meant to be to your own taste. I list ingredient measurements as a guideline for you but want you to experiment with the recipe and make it your own. For example, I used 4 cloves of garlic, but some of your may prefer only 2 or none at all.
1. Chop onion + garlic. Sautee in pan with EVOO until onion is golden. Be careful not to burn or overcook your garlic! It will become bitter.
2. Add your diced tomato + chopped fresh basil. Stir + allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove mixture from heat + place in your blender. Depending on your blender your setting might differ – I used the LOW // BLEND setting. Pulse the mixture for a good 30 seconds or so. If you want the soup more liquidy + pureed then pulse it a bit longer. *CAUTION: ingredients will be boiling. you must must be careful, and please be sure your blender is on it’s lowest setting with the top securely on.
4. Pour the blended soup back into your saucepan and allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
5. Optional: For an added creaminess to the soup, add in your coconut milk.
6. Chop some more fresh basil and use as garnish to finish the dish. Enjoy!
*This quick, easy recipe is also gluten free, dairy free, and paleo approved.
Ha, this was totally on my meal planner for the blog! so wierd, i was supposed to make it this weeken but I got tired! It’s so good too and I’m not even a fan of tomato soup.
Perfect soup for this time of year, looks absolutely delicious!
Great, healthy super easy recipe, I will definitely try… Since I am not in a gluten free diet or paleo I would add a piece of toasted bread I think it would be yummy…
Have a great snow storm free week!!!
Ok hi! I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE! Trying this on the weekend. <3 Specially for these chilly days!
I love a good tomato soup + grilled cheese combo! Glad you’re safe after Nemo! XO
Looks delicious. Can’t wait to try out this simple recipe 🙂
looks delicious and easy especially since I am not the best cook 🙂
ps. your newest follower